ON1 Photo RAW Gets An Update
Yesterday ON1 Photo RAW received another update with refinements and additional camera support. Here are the highlights for the 2017.0.2 release:
- Added support for Compressed Lossless Fujifilm RAW photos
- Improved processing quality for Fujifilm XTrans sensors
- Improved highlight recovery
- New raw file support for cameras including Olympus SH-2, E-M5 MKII, E-M1 MKII, Pentax K5 II, Nikon D5600, Panasonic DMC FZ2000, Panasonic DMC G2, Panasonic DMC G5, Panasonic DMC TZ80, Leica M10, Leica TL, Canon EOS 500D, Panasonic DMC LX15
- Over 20 improvements to performance in Browse which is an area ON1 will continue improving
- Several more performance updates and bug fixes are also included in this release
My eyes immediately jumped to the improved highlight recovery. I shoot toward or into the sun a lot. In extreme cases, I'll bracket and blend exposures. However, more and more I'm able to accomplish what I want with a single RAW photo.
I took a few sunrise photos last weekend and used the one on this page to put ON1 Photo RAW 2017.0.2 to the test. I threw a pretty brutal photo at this version. Shooting directly into the sun, the original photo was severely underexposed. With just the Tone & Color panel, what you see is the result.
Something I found to be very useful for this image is the Highlight Purity slider. That kept the blown out area (which I both expect and want) in the sun looking natural. The gradations of the highlights are smoother than the prior versions.
If you're using ON1 Photo RAW today, I recommend this update. If you're not, check it out. There's a free trial to download and use.